Tuesday, January 15, 2013

T - 3 Days

Today is my last 'normal' day at home. Tomorrow I will meander downtown for the last time in awhile. Thursday is the final packing day. Friday is my departure.

As it stands, I feel confident in my ability to speak Spanish. Please understand the difference between 'knowing how to speak Spanish' versus 'confidence speaking Spanish ' The latter has proven very difficult; I have gained and lost this ability several times over the last 12 months. The best cure for lacking confidence, for me, is maintaining a conversation with another Spanish speaker. I owe a lot of thanks to Ms. Brenda (a Spanish teacher) for her help with my conversational ability.
I will also take away a few speaking keys: Keep It Simple! I always try to 'impress' others with my ability by speaking as properly as possible. When it works, I sound nearly fluent; when it does not, I often get confused and give up on getting the purpose of the sentence across. 
Another thing: play dumb. You don't always know what is going on, so don't pretend you do. If I don't understand someone, I need to admit that and ask for a clearer definition. Not leaving myself flustered or frustrated over not understanding someone will only inhibit my ability to maintain the conversation. 

From Facebook conversations with my fellow students already in Spain, I will be one of the last to arrive. 
Oh well: rather be the last than the first!
Still, reading about their day-to-day adventures only makes me wish for Friday to arrive quicker!

Might as well enjoy my time at home. It will be some of my last for a long time. 

Cheers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment